Friday, June 11, 2004

Back in Town

Back in town. Business went satisfactory if not superlatively. Saw that the Gipper went to the big tax haven in the sky while I was gone. Was quite an experience as I was once again immersed in Republican country. Majority of friends still in denial, realize that things are bad but not ready to abandon Bush yet. I think that's about the size of it when you look at this poll (MSNBC), that indicates a majority feel that the war wasn't justified but most people don't want to "cut and run". The baby of my friends was awfully cute, even if she did cry a lot - I guess that's what babies do right?

Will get back to regular blogging tonight and tomorrow. If anyone out there is hiring, I'm still willing to go to Iraq and fix it for the Republican party. However I do have an announcement to make. I think this trip ended my stage as a self-declared Republican. While I am still fond of conservative values, I think the denial and rationalization - bullshit - has gone too far. From now on count me as an independent. I think the final straw was that lousy interview on NPR of a Republican "slightly right of Rush Limbaugh" where he articulated the conservative case for trusting Republicans over Democrats.

It went like this. A conservative doesn't believe that Republicans are less likely to abuse government power than a liberal, but because liberals are for the expansion of regulatory power there will be more power to abuse. This was also the rationale for why tolerating big business cronyism was okay. That violates two tenets of conservative values. Clearly the Republicans are as bad now as the Democrats when it when it comes to expanding government power. Can anyone say "Defense Spending, Medicare, and Patriot Act"? In addition, it's not worth it to sacrifice law&order fairness as a conservative value to get a nonexistent reining in of regulatory statutes. A pox on both their houses!

It really is time for a third party, but to succeed it has to be right up the middle. It has to represent and articulate a set of values that appeal to the disaffected and disenfranchised middle America that loathes Labor unions and despises corporate corruption. It has to take roughly equal amounts of voters away from both major established parties to avoid the reputation as a spoiler. What to call it? How about the Sensibility party or the Commonsense party!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home