Monday, August 23, 2004

Reader Update: Now Returning To Your Regularly Scheduled Programming,

I've tested out the new improvements to the blog presentation and interface and they all seem to be working. The "Search this" function at the top will use a google Blogger search and the insite search engine by Free Search also works. In addition, I've defined the column widths in term of page percentages so the blog should project proportionally to all screens of viewers. Let me know if it doesn't. The site tracker function is fully working it seems, and I just have to finish by adding the Technocrati link.

The sidebar looks more aesthetically pleasing as organized now and I've updated the site html link for the new Needlenose group site listing. Let me know if you guys like the comments section or if you have any additional trouble viewing the webpage.

With that, we return you to your regularly scheduled programming. What's in the work are two upcoming topics. The first is of course the aforementioned California forecasting of US political economy trends. The short answer is it's "Horrible! Horrible! Just Ghastly!".

The second one is the next in my ongoing series about Inflation and Productivity. Apparently if you subtract the chain-weighted computer sales component in the GDP, the national GDP increases. Is the oldman kidding? No. He got the data straight off the BEA site. Sometimes the oldman wonders if anyone actually ever bothers to read these data releases. They read like a clown show. Anderson-Enron accounting was tighter than this.

But of course the conservative elites in this country don't bother to read anymore and the liberal ones don't read things that would discomfort them. Ontological deficit to the max!

14 Comments:

At August 23, 2004 at 3:38 PM, Blogger Jeff Lawson said...

Curse you, Red Baron! OK, the new look looks nice, but I had to register a blog to comment, and it's not necessarily that I have nothing to say (Although I tend to say little, on the theory that what I don't say won't tend to incriminate me), but I have a hard time doing much of anything daily. (Might come from years of roofing, it not being a normal, 8-hr Mon-Fri job).
That said, the look is nice...

 
At August 23, 2004 at 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It didn't let you post anonymously?

--oldman

 
At August 23, 2004 at 4:09 PM, Blogger Jeff Lawson said...

It may have, I thought I'd tried it on another Blogger blog and had problems, so I just registered...now I just have an empty blog, lol, np.

 
At August 23, 2004 at 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume you mean it decreases (the GDP)? If you do spreadsheet it and send me the spreadsheet (if you would do it anyway) I would be in your debt.

Ian

 
At August 23, 2004 at 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, it's much better now. One matter of fact (no complaint) is that the "Previous posts" sidebar is implemented as nested box/box2/box3 div elements, and the style sheet defines fixed-size background images for them. The images represent a "rounded" frame that now does not extend to cover the whole box. The potential fix is simply gutting the images, at the cost of "sharp" box corners.

I'm ont that familiar with style sheets; perhaps it is possible to position 4 "rounding" images in the corners independently.

This is the section of interest in the inlined style sheet:

/* Sidebar Boxes
----------------------------------------------- */
.box {
background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top;
margin:0 0 15px;
padding:10px 0 0;
color:#666;
}
.box2 {
background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom;
padding:0 0 8px;
}
.box3 {
background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders4/rails_side.gif") repeat-y;
padding:0 13px;
}

-- cm

 
At August 23, 2004 at 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW Oldman, can we count on the comments of older posts being preserved (on Haloscan)? I have an ongoing discussion w/ somebody in an older thread.

-- cm

 
At August 23, 2004 at 11:52 PM, Blogger wunderdog said...

Looks good, though you still got a lot of numbers on the page (makes my head hurt just thinking about em). Anyway thought I'd mention an interesting radio give and take today on The Connection between Krugman and Moore of the Club For Growth. A sort of pop culture presentation of economics for those of us who are bad with numbers.

audio stream
http://www.theconnection.org/shows/2004/08/20040823_b_main.asp

 
At August 24, 2004 at 12:02 AM, Blogger Oldman said...

I haven't canceled my haloscan acct, mostly because I've been waiting to see how the new comments section turns out. Should I make it available again?

 
At August 24, 2004 at 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oldman: I don't know whether your Haloscan question relates to my post. I don't know what this would entail financial & otherwise. My question was specifically about comments in the archive. I was just reminded of a thread elsewhere a while ago where we were extolling the virtues of blogs as a new quality medium and its social impact, and one important point was the preservation of discussions after the fact. I find occasionally that I read old articles on blogs, and the discussions often add value to the article. But you decide.

-- cm

 
At August 24, 2004 at 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While we have a technical thread, I suppose there is a way for you as the blogmaster to monitor thread activity? Just curious.

Regarding old comments, there may be a way of exporting them from Haloscan into some "standard" format and importing them into whatever software you are using these days. But then it's just a guess. I don't know how sophisticated or standardized blog softwares are. There should hopefully be no copyright issue in transferring the comments.

-- cm

 
At October 2, 2005 at 8:58 PM, Blogger jon said...

I am trying to find installing metal roofing people and found your blog while searching. I totally agree with that...

 
At October 4, 2005 at 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about buy computer game

 
At October 11, 2005 at 9:39 AM, Blogger St Louis Cardinals BUFF said...

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 8 because you have good content.

Free Access To More Information Aboutemployment

 
At October 14, 2005 at 12:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dicecities.net
Large selection of Websites for sale, starting as low as $19.99 come by and check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home