Sunday, November 21, 2004

Hunting???

I have to say this is the worst hunting dispute that I've heard of!!!

Five dead in hunting dispute
Alleged gunman arrested after fight over tree stand

The Associated Press
Updated: 8:28 p.m. ET Nov. 21, 2004
HAYWARD, Wis. - A dispute among hunters over a tree stand in northwestern Wisconsin erupted into a shooting that left five people dead and three injured Sunday, a television station reported.

The alleged gunman, a man from the Twin Cities area, was arrested Sunday afternoon, Sawyer County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle told KSTP-TV of St. Paul, Minn.

The shootings happened near Birchwood about noon. The station quoted authorities as saying the shooting began after a hunting party saw a hunter they didn’t know occupying their tree stand.

That led to a confrontation. One victim used a walkie-talkie to call for help, but when other hunting partners came to the scene they also were shot, the station reported.

One of those wounded was in critical condition in a Rice Lake hospital, and one was in fair condition, KSTP reported. The condition of the third victim, who was taken to a Marshfield hospital, was not immediately available.

I don't hunt myself but grew up in a hunting community. Most of the hunters I knew were very soft-spoken responsible and reliable men. Sure they liked to have fun now and then, but this sort of stuff would be unthinkable. However I'm in a time-warp apparently. First I'm shocked by the openness of Christian Evangelical disregard for the separation of church and state in the military, and now I'm going to find out that the hunters are no longer nice guys that I used to go to school with and work with either?

Fortunately I am pretty cynical so I'll survive it. However I do wonder if I have been living in very representative communities. I guess not. Perhaps that's why the Republican party going bad while I wasn't entirely unaware I was not prepared before 1999 to consider the scope and depth of the depravity and illegal ambition. Some bad apples sure, but not the entire party hijacked. I guess Delong is still in that time-warp because he keeps on asking about the adult Republicans.

All the adult Republicans have i) washed their hands of this ii) are now libertarians iii) are now conservative Democrats (like me, I finally registered this year) or iv) waiting for a chance to try to pick up the pieces.

But back to this guy. Whoever he was, he was totally out of control. He just started blasting people. Over a tree stand. I've known hunters for a long time and if you find someone's stand there is a sense that you can use it but that you had better get off quick if they show up. It's much more well regarded to build your own tree stand. A whole rite of passage and manly sort of thing.

This guy though he just started mowing down people with a high-powered game animal rifle. Not cool.

6 Comments:

At November 21, 2004 at 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding the time-warp and living in non-representative circles, I strongly agree & strongly suggest that this is very likely to be the case for you and readers here. (It certainly is for me.) Earlier in my life I made the staggering experience that there are sorts of people out there that I would never have imagined. Not that I would want to say anything bad about them -- those that I met were quite nice and reasonable individuals when talking to them separately, but in the aggregate they struck me as having a way of reasoning and apparent herd behavior quite remote from what I was expecting.

As for tree stands, I used some not for hunting but for mere outlook, but was always very particular not to damage them and cherish the effort and workmanship that went into erecting them. I never had any conflicts as I was incidentally using them off-season. But then again, apparently there are people whose mileage varies considerably.

cm

 
At October 3, 2005 at 10:35 PM, Blogger Horse Sense said...

Horse racing tips for professional lay bettingStupendous

 
At October 11, 2005 at 11:32 AM, Blogger St Louis Cardinals BUFF said...

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 10 because you have done a good job. Great Job,

Free Access To More Information Aboutsmall business loans

 
At October 17, 2005 at 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting blog on television listing I have read a related blog heretelevision listing

 
At October 27, 2005 at 5:40 PM, Blogger Google Page Rank 6 said...

Want more clicks to your Adsense Ads on your Blog?

Then you have to check out my blog. I have found a FREE and Legitimate way that will increase your earnings.

Come Check us out. How to Boost Your AdSense Revenue

 
At February 22, 2006 at 6:03 PM, Anonymous Outdoor Electronics said...

Hello,
I was out blogging and ran across your blog. From what little time I got to spend on your blog, everything looks good. I will return for future visits.

Best Regards,
http://www.butleroutdoorstore.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home